top of page



If you are looking for an interesting job in the Mo i Rana region, or you already have gotten one, you will have to know that the Norwegian labor market is well regulated, and you must prepare to meet some Nordic, but rather friendly bureaucracy. Certain demands and expectations are placed on you, but you can also set expectations for Norwegian society.

Just jump in!

NAV (The Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration) is responsible for employment services and welfare schemes in Norway. UDI (The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration) is responsible for processing applications from foreign nationals who wish to visit or live in Norway.

Normally, nationals of countries outside the EU/EEA must apply for a residence permit for work purposes in Norway. In some cases, you do not need a residence permit if you plan to work in Norway for less than three months.

Work in Norway, Mo i Rana, Giga Arctic
Work in Norway, Mo i Rana, Giga Arctic
Work in Norway, Mo i Rana, Giga Arctic


If you have completed higher education or have completed vocational training, you can apply for a residence permit as a skilled worker. You must normally already have received a job offer or have your own business.

Rights and obligations while you are waiting for your application to be decided:

You can enter Norway before your application has been decided if you are a skilled worker and already have a visa or do not need a visa to enter Norway.

You may not start working, including remote work, until you have been granted a permit. You can nevertheless start working if you have applied for a residence permit for a skilled worker with an employer in Norway and receive a confirmation of early employment start from the police. 

UDI, Skilled workers, Giga Arctic, Mo i Rana, Freyr


If you are planning to work remotely in Norway, you must have a residence permit that gives you the right to work remotely in Norway.

With the exception of EU/EEA citizens, all foreigners working in Norway must have a residence permit that gives them the right to work in Norway. This also applies to remote work. 

It is considered remote work when you work for a Norwegian or foreign employer off-site (e.g. from a hotel, a home or similar). This also applies if you are self-employed in Norway or abroad.  

This implies that you cannot, for example, work for your employer in your home country while you are in Norway on a visit or holiday, regardless of whether you are on a visa-free stay or if you have a visitor visa.  

You may only work remotely in Norway if you have a residence permit that gives you the right to do so. There is no specific residence permit for remote work in Norway. To work remotely during your stay, you must have a residence permit that entitles you to work remotely, such as: 

  • a residence permit for family immigration 

  • a permanent residence permit  

  • a residence permit for work where remote work is part of your job 


When you work in Norway, you automatically become a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme from your first day of work. You will not become a member though, if you are working temporarily for your foreign employer in Norway.

Membership of the National Insurance Scheme is the key to your entitlements from NAV. 

NAV's services and benefits

What entitlements you can claim under the National Insurance Act depends on what kind of membership you have, or whether you are covered by a social security agreement.

You should be aware that some entitlements require that you have been a member of the National Insurance Scheme for a certain time. For questions about the wide range of benefits and requirements pertaining to specific countries/national insurance agreements, please contact NAV.

NAV, work n Norway, Mo i Rana


Some people can visit Norway for up to 90 days without a visa, but most people from countries outside the EU/EEA must apply for a visitor's visa. 

Check the UDI website for more information:

Norway, Visa, Mo i Rana
bottom of page